Thursday, February 4, 2010

What should be included in the subject line of emails?

Do you have your students use your class prefix or other detailed information in the subject line? Example: POS105C11. More information in the subject line, helps me understand where the particular email is going and helps me avoid the follow-up emails by asking What did you mean when you said....?

So, do you expect your students to provide a lot of information in their Subject line? And if you do, do you ask them to do that in their follow-up emails?

Maybe we can come up with a standard request that we can all use in our classes. You know, one voice, one message thing. So, let me start.

Dear Student: (Ok, the rest is now up to you.) :)

Al

2 comments:

  1. Re: "Do you have your students use your class prefix or other detailed information in the subject line? Example: POS105C11."
    Been there; tried that, Al!
    Then Emails came my way not only without all the frills but also without a student name in the message. Love a challenge!!!! And yes, I told them to create a signature. lol
    Then there are the Emails with no course ID, no name AND no subject.
    Luckily...all the D2L Emails do state the course and section in the header so MY head is still above water.
    Next Unit...I will urge signatures once again. Hope springs eternal.
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update.

    Yes, I've decided to look at the header too. And when I reply, I'm adding the course and section in the subject line too. It helps me to when I file their emails too. :)

    Al

    ReplyDelete