Monday, February 15, 2010

Email replies

Here's how I handle email replies.


In our email settings, we have a choice to Include original message in email replies or not. However, did you know students also need to select this box so they can retain their original messages too? Many students are not aware of this even though we mention this is our instructions.


Here's what I've been doing thanks to COM instructor, Lori Poole. When I reply to students, I simply add additional information to their subject line such as our Course Prefix and Section number. And yes, we know the Course Prefix and Section number are already listed near the top of each email to the right of Course Offering. However, even with our split screen, I'm still listing the Course Prefix and Section number in their subject line.


Instructor Poole also mentioned she puts the following in her email signature: Please sign your name to email messages and include a subject header with our class name and number in it! I liked that so I've added that to my email signature too. And although I've placed this information in my email signature box, students still do not follow my instructions. So, back to adding information to their subject line. :)


Also, what do you think of moving this information to the top of all email messages? That is, before you reply, students will read: Please sign your name to email messages and include a subject header with our class name and number in it! Then start your response. Any thoughts?


So, what do you do?


Upcoming Blog will by on creating individual student email folders. I'm on the fence with this one. So, looking forward to what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment